My Current Weight Loss

Monday, May 28, 2007

Day 67 - Lacy vs. The Rock

So on Saturday, me, Beck, her sister and her friend all went to Red Rocks to go hiking. We are all excited and start out on a trail... at one point, the trail ends at some big rocks. Instead of turning around, we decide that it must mean we're supposed to climb the rocks. Yeah, smart one, eh? Well, climbing was not the hard part... it was definitely a workout, but it wasn't so scary. I really don't remember why we decided to take the path we did, but we ended up at the very top, along a vertical cliff (picture 3). Well, this put us on a ledge, that we then had to get off of in order to continue down the rocks... and, if we didn't want to slide to our deaths (or at the very least - some sort of painful injury), we had to figure out a way to get off the ledge and onto the base rock without losing our footing. Now, you're probably thinking, just step down! Which, in theory, would be great, except that both the rock we're on and the one we're going to are VERY STEEP, and gravity is working against you, big time. So the other three girls do it, and it's up to me. Yay. As I'm contemplating my only option... hugging the vertical cliff, sliding to my knees, somehow finding something to hold on to, then turning and sliding down the ledge, all without losing my footing on the loose rocks... all I can think of is that I am going to have a LOT of momentum pushing my down this rock if something goes wrong. Thankfully, Beck, Beth and Doris talked my through it and I finally got off the ledge. But then we still had to crab-walk down the rock and find the trail!



The reason I'm writing a novel on a topic that really has nothing to do with my weight-loss, is because it is sort of a metaphor for my journey. There I was, faced with something I DEFINITELY did not anticipate... I had absolutely no clue how I was going to handle the situation and come out in one piece... but I did it. I battled the rock, and I won (albeit, it did kick my ass along the way)! Sometimes I think of all the weight I need to lose, and it seems impossible... but I know it's something I can do. There will be times when I screw up and eat something bad and don't work out (or have bruises and scratches all over from the fight with the rock), but as long as I keep going, it will happen.

Two days later, I'm still ridiculously sore... my arms, shoulders and back lowered this 270lb weight down a mountain, and my legs carried me up it. I had been trying to get in an upper-body workout, but this wasn't quite what I had in mind. :)



Oh, and did I mention that after our near-death experience, we decided to climb ANOTHER rock so we could eat lunch on it? Yeah... we were really thinking on that one! While I didn't quite have the energy (after nearly 3 hours of hiking/climbing/sliding) to climb the amphitheatre stairs like Beck, I kept up with 3 girls that were half my size all day, so I'm pretty happy with myself. Despite the painful and scary journey, I'm so glad I did it! And hopefully I can say that same thing in a year or so when I've reached my weight loss goals!!! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lacy, you did awesome!! I'm so glad you were able to come (even though we almost died) and I hope we can do this again soon.

Rob Tucker said...

That's so awesome. I wish I could do something like this, but the closest thing we have to a mountain here in Detroit is the steps at Pine Knob Theatre ;)

Kristen said...

Come on, Rob. Let's tackle Pine Knob together. We can do it!

Rob Tucker said...

Set the date, and it's on. I was going to do the RenCen step race, but I knew it would probably lead to the morgue, so I skipped it ;)

Rebecca said...

Awe Lacy, good for you! It sounds like you have confidence in your ability, and it will only increase as you lose more and more weight. It will be such a self-esteem builder, not because you're skinny, but because you took control and did something that very few people do, something that noone else could do for you. Congrats for beating the rock!